Sabah Tongod Landslip kills 8, 1 missing ,with 2 known survivor
The rampant development for oil palm planting and new settlement in central Sabah must give priority for general safety and rescue. Suitable and stable areas for housing must be planned ahead and not be build near landslip prone slopes.
Excerpt STAR newspaper
Monday, 3 April 2017
Seven missing after landslip
BY STEPHANIE LEE
|A landslip in Kg Alitang in Tongod , Telupid. (April 2)(picture goes with story slug kkslandslip020417)|
KOTA KINABALU: Seven people, including five children, from a family are missing after a landslip swept away their wooden house into a river.
The five are two 13-year-old boys and three eight-year-olds whose gender are not yet known.
The rest are two 17-year-old girls.
During the incident on Saturday, they were with four others at a worker’s quarters in an oil palm estate when the landslip struck and carried away their home into the river.
Two adults and two other children – a boy and a girl – were rescued by villagers who saw them clinging to debris in the river.
The landslip in Kampung Alitang, Tongod, some 200km from here, had struck along the Crocker Range in Central Sabah after heavy rains in the area since March 30.
Yesterday, rescuers from central Tongod and the interior Sook district, off Keningau, were still struggling through difficult terrain to reach the scene of the tragedy.
Sabah Public Defence Department director Kol Mulliadi Al-Hamdi Ladin said it had received a distress call from the estate owner at about 12.20pm on Saturday and a team was mobilised to the area.
“However, we are still not able to enter or reach the place as the bridge linking the estate has been damaged,” he said.
He further added that those involved were believed to be Filipino workers and their families.
“Updates will be given when we have them,” said Kol Mulliadi.
Rescuers from Keningau first responded to the case as the incident had taken place close to the district border although it is in Tongod.
Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/04/03/seven-missing-after-landslip-they-were-in-wooden-house-swept-into-river-after-heavy-rains/#IqRJB1gsoXDr4eAm.99
Thursday, 13 April 2017 | MYT 9:00 AM
Sabah mudslide: Body of 11-year-old boy found
BY STEPHANIE LEE
KOTA KINABALU: The body of a boy whose home was swept away in a mudslide in Kg Alintang, in Sabah's central Tongod district, has been recovered.
Kinabatangan police chief Supt A. Sahak Rahmat said the victim was identified by his father as 11-year-old Alan.
He was found in the Milian river where most of the other victims were found previously.
"We received information about a body at about 2.30pm on Wednesday and had sent our team to check," he said.
He said they managed to reach the river at about 9pm and the body was brought out and sent to hospital for identification.
Supt Sahak said only one more person, a woman identified as 36-year-old Asma, remains missing.
The family of 11 were swept away by a mudslide when they were sleeping in their workers' quarters on April 1.
Couple Zaleha Mandaya and Abdul Kahalayan, who are in their 50s, and their 18-year-old son Julaslam were found safe.
However, Zaleha died in hospital about a week later due to bacterial infection.
Six other bodies were recovered over two days after the incident.